Friday, January 15, 2010

Great Side Dish

Sometimes the hardest part of a meal for me is deciding what to fix with the main course. I tire quickly of the standbys of green beans and corn and their varieties. I have recently found some great frozen vegetables, just the right size for two. Last night I fixed Green Giant's Simply Steam® Garden Vegetable Medley. It has roasted red potatoes, red peppers, and peas. I was pleasantly surprised how good it was and will definitely try other varieties.
However, I do have some delicious sides that I love to fix that are a little different. One that I think is a great side for pork and chicken is called scalloped pineapple. It could double for a dessert but I really love it as a side dish. I got this recipe from a friend about 25 years ago. I have seen other versions of this recipe online but my recipe has marshmallows which I didn't see in any other recipe. If you're looking for a sweet side for ham, pork chops, or chicken, look no further!
Scalloped Pineapple

1 c. sugar
1/2 c. melted butter
2 eggs
1 20-oz. can crushed or chunk pineapple, undrained
3 c. bread cubes, packed
1 c. miniature marshmallows
Mix sugar, butter and eggs. Add pineapple, bread cubes and marshmallows. Stir together and spoon into greased 7 x 10 x 2 dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes uncovered.

1 comment:

  1. First of all, thanks for the Green Giant recommendation. I never know what to make for a side, and that one sounds delicious. Am putting it on the grocery list.

    Second, that scalloped pineapple sounds very interesting! I love recipes that are unexpected. I am going to save this one for the next time I need to cook a special meal (although who knows when that will be!).

    ReplyDelete

Best-Ever Apple Pie--Really!

You just can't beat a good ol' American apple pie for a great dessert. This recipe was featured in the September 2008 issue of Southern Living. It has five pounds of apples in it!! The picture above is the picture of the pie I made. It was so good! As you read the recipe, you will notice that the crust is a little different--it has cornmeal in it. It also uses apple juice as the wetting agent. The trick is rolling the top crust out large enough to cover that mound of apples. If you love apple pie, try this one. I don't think you'll be disappointed!