Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Soup's On!

As I have watched the national weather forecast, it seems just about everyone in our country is experiencing cold weather. Even those who have fled to Florida for the winter are complaining about some dipping temperatures. On a cold wintry day, there is just something within me and my husband that calls for comfort foods. We had pizza for lunch, loading up on plenty of carbs with not only the pizza dough, but breadsticks and of course the dessert pizza.
One of my go-to comfort foods for winter is soup. I think I have mentioned before that I love soup, especially soup that is full of something--vegetables, meat, pasta, etc.
For dinner tonight I made a creamy potato soup that is my all-time favorite potato soup recipe. This one is creamy, just the right consistency and very satisfying. It seems like almost every time I make it, I forget to pre-cook the potatoes. I finally got smart tonight and cubed the potatoes and placed them in my large micro cooker (Pampered Chef) and cooked them for about 5 minutes until they were fork tender. Much easier!
I serve each bowl of soup with crumbled bacon and a little more grated cheese. Stay tuned for more favorite soup recipes.
Creamy Potato Soup
1 medium onion chopped
1 stalk of celery chopped
1 medium carrot, grated
1/2 c. butter or margarine
2 T. flour
4 c. milk
1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
1/2 c. cubed process American cheese or shredded cheddar cheese
4-6 large potatoes, peeled, diced, and cooked
1 t. seasoned salt
In a Dutch oven, saute onion, celery and carrot in butter until tender. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add soup, cheese, potatoes and seasoned salt; mix well. Cook and stir until cheese is melted and soup is heated through. Yield: 10-12 servings (3 quarts)
Click here for a printable version of this recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Best-Ever Apple Pie--Really!

You just can't beat a good ol' American apple pie for a great dessert. This recipe was featured in the September 2008 issue of Southern Living. It has five pounds of apples in it!! The picture above is the picture of the pie I made. It was so good! As you read the recipe, you will notice that the crust is a little different--it has cornmeal in it. It also uses apple juice as the wetting agent. The trick is rolling the top crust out large enough to cover that mound of apples. If you love apple pie, try this one. I don't think you'll be disappointed!