Friday, January 28, 2011

Refreshing New Remake!

At times one of the hardest things about meal preparation for me is coming up with side dishes and different salads to serve with a main entree.  I can get in a rut and get very tired of the same old thing.  That's why I was delighted this week to find a remake of a salad from my childhood that was delicious and really, in my opinion, even better than the original recipe.  My husband has never liked carrot-raisin salad.  Something about horrors of the cafeteria lunchroom.  Personally, I didn't buy my lunch much at all when I was in school.  Mom usually provided with us a sack lunch that contained a sandwich, "nice" fruit and a cookie.  I preferred Mom's lunch over the cafeteria soup/sandwich any day--except for the day they served grilled cheese and tomato soup.  That day, I opted to buy.

Anyway, back to the carrot-raisin salad.  I ran across this recipe on "Once Upon a Plate" blog this week that had a refreshing remix of this old favorite.  It doesn't call of a "recipe" but rather simply grating a Granny Smith apple (skin on), grating carrots, tossing in dried cranberries and walnuts (I used pecans simply because that's what I had).  To dress the salad, squeeze the juice of a lemon, add a little honey, sugar or sweetener, and a dash of salt over the mixture and toss lightly. 

And there you have it--an easy, tasty salad.  I am happy to say I have successfully banished my husband's school cafeteria horrors.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Best-Ever Apple Pie--Really!

You just can't beat a good ol' American apple pie for a great dessert. This recipe was featured in the September 2008 issue of Southern Living. It has five pounds of apples in it!! The picture above is the picture of the pie I made. It was so good! As you read the recipe, you will notice that the crust is a little different--it has cornmeal in it. It also uses apple juice as the wetting agent. The trick is rolling the top crust out large enough to cover that mound of apples. If you love apple pie, try this one. I don't think you'll be disappointed!