Monday, February 7, 2011

Granola Cereal Take 2

My husband is a big cereal fan and especially enjoys grain cereals with raisins and nuts. If you buy much cereal at your house, you know that while the cost is going up, the size of the box is going down. So I decided recently to make my own granola mix and after two recipe trials, I think I've found a winner. The two recipes were very similar (oats, dried fruits, nuts), but the ingredient that made the second recipe stand out was the sweetener. The first recipe has maple syrup as its sweetener while the second recipe calls for brown sugar and honey. The other thing that set the second recipe apart is that the dried fruit isn't actually baked with the granola which keeps them nice and soft. They tend to dry up when they are baked.

The granola is good with milk and also makes a nice topping for yogurt. I haven't had the opportunity to figure out how much it costs to make a recipe, but I'm sure its significantly lower than the boxed cereals at the grocery--and probably a lot better for you. Give it a try and see what you think!

Click here for a printable version of Homemade Granola.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Best-Ever Apple Pie--Really!

You just can't beat a good ol' American apple pie for a great dessert. This recipe was featured in the September 2008 issue of Southern Living. It has five pounds of apples in it!! The picture above is the picture of the pie I made. It was so good! As you read the recipe, you will notice that the crust is a little different--it has cornmeal in it. It also uses apple juice as the wetting agent. The trick is rolling the top crust out large enough to cover that mound of apples. If you love apple pie, try this one. I don't think you'll be disappointed!