Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Hostess Has Nothing On Me

How long has it been since you have had a Hostess cupcake?  You know--the chocolate cupcake with the white cream filling inside and the chocolate ganach topping with the signature white stripe on top?  It's been a LONG time since I have had one but I decided this week that I wanted to make a filled cupcake for our February birthday celebration.  My sister happened to have this marshmallow cream recipe and shared it with me along with a couple tips about how to successfully fill the cupcakes. 

I started with a basic Devil's food cake recipe.  Using an old-fashioned ice cream scoop, I scooped a level scoop of batter into my large greased muffin tins and ended up with nicely rounded topped cupcakes.  I made the filling while the cupcakes were baking and made the ganach while the cupcakes were cooling.To fill the cupcakes, I used my Pampered Chef apple corer and gently pulled a section out of the center of the cupcake, keeping the "plug" in tact.  I piped the filling into the hole I had created and filled it almost to the top.  I then cup off about half of the cake from my "plug" and inserted the stub back in place to cover the cream.   Holding the cupcake gently, I dipped the top into the ganach letting the excess drip back into the pan.  I put them in the refrigerator to set up.  Meanwhile, I melted semi-sweet chocolate chips and white chocolate chips (separately) and piped heart shapes out onto waxed paper, refrigerating them to set up also.  Just before serving, I simply placed the hearts on top of the cupcakes pressing the tips gently to "glue" them into place. 

The cupcakes were very good and one of our guests, Jerry, made the comment that Hostess had nothing on me!  Thank you, Jerry.  Come any time! We love a happy guest!  Hope your birthday was special.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Best-Ever Apple Pie--Really!

You just can't beat a good ol' American apple pie for a great dessert. This recipe was featured in the September 2008 issue of Southern Living. It has five pounds of apples in it!! The picture above is the picture of the pie I made. It was so good! As you read the recipe, you will notice that the crust is a little different--it has cornmeal in it. It also uses apple juice as the wetting agent. The trick is rolling the top crust out large enough to cover that mound of apples. If you love apple pie, try this one. I don't think you'll be disappointed!