Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Proud Kentuckians!

My husband is originally from Kentucky and although I was born in Michigan and lived there until I was 13, I claim Kentucky as my home. I lived in Kentucky from 7th grade until I got married when I was 20 (yes, I know--I was very young!). We may be partial, but we love Kentucky for its beautiful horse farms, rolling white fences, and these days, the mountains. (This picture was taken in my sister's neighborhood.) We have been back in Kentucky now since August and we still forget from time to time that we are actually here. We'll catch ourselves saying "When we go to Kentucky . . . " Then it dawns on us--we ARE in Kentucky! We are so happy to be back in the Bluegrass state, despite the fact that I heard today that we are to receive a higher than normal amount of snow this winter.
Another Kentucky favorite of ours is derby pie--or I should say Kentucky derby pie. It's almost as famous as the derby. It's a chocolaty, gooey pie that definitely calls for a tall glass of cold milk as its companion. This will be another dessert that I will be taking to my sister's when we go to Kentucky Thursday--oh yeah--we ARE in Kentucky!
1/2 c. butter
1 c. sugar
2 eggs
1 t. vanilla
1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1 c. broken English walnuts or pecans
1 6 oz. package chocolate chips
Cream butter and sugar. Beat in eggs and flour. Add vanilla. Stir in chocolate chips and nuts. Pour in unbaked 9" pie shell. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until top is golden brown.
Click here for a printable version of this recipe.

2 comments:

  1. this is my favorite part of thanksgiving! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It all looked scrumptious, I tasted the Apple pie, even though I am on a diet. It was as good as it looked. Not only were the desserts good, but the entire meal from Appetizers to desserts were incredible.

    ReplyDelete

Best-Ever Apple Pie--Really!

You just can't beat a good ol' American apple pie for a great dessert. This recipe was featured in the September 2008 issue of Southern Living. It has five pounds of apples in it!! The picture above is the picture of the pie I made. It was so good! As you read the recipe, you will notice that the crust is a little different--it has cornmeal in it. It also uses apple juice as the wetting agent. The trick is rolling the top crust out large enough to cover that mound of apples. If you love apple pie, try this one. I don't think you'll be disappointed!