Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Hot Cider

Today's recipe is for a hot beverage, perfect for a cold day or night! This recipe was actually given to me by Dr. Tom Cheatham, the dean of Basic & Applied Sciences at Middle Tennessee State University, who I was privileged to work for. I told Dr. Cheatham he was the most hospitable dean I had ever met. He often brought in homemade banana bread which he had made (I'll share that recipe some time!) and this hot cider. Both were consumed quickly and very much appreciated by the staff. He used a peculator to brew this, but since I don't have one, I simply put the all spice and cinnamon sticks in a coffee filter and tie it up with a twist tie and place it in the liquid while it simmers.
Here's to you, Dr. Cheatham!

Hot Cider
4 c. apple cider or apple juice
2 c. orange juice
2 c. cranberry juice
1/2 c. sugar
1 t. all spice
3 sticks of cinnamon

Combine all of the juices and sugar in a large Dutch oven. Place all spice and cinnamon sticks in a coffee filter and tie with a twist tie. Simmer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Best-Ever Apple Pie--Really!

You just can't beat a good ol' American apple pie for a great dessert. This recipe was featured in the September 2008 issue of Southern Living. It has five pounds of apples in it!! The picture above is the picture of the pie I made. It was so good! As you read the recipe, you will notice that the crust is a little different--it has cornmeal in it. It also uses apple juice as the wetting agent. The trick is rolling the top crust out large enough to cover that mound of apples. If you love apple pie, try this one. I don't think you'll be disappointed!